Although I’ve made garments on the bias before, I wasn’t very successful, because I didn’t do the proper prep work.
I recently tried on a camisole and shorts sleep set at Anthropologie and thought they were really cute, but the price was ridiculous. So I decided to make a set myself. I really liked the way the bias cut camisole draped.
I bought some very thin cotton from Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics. I had a knit camisole that was similar to the one I wanted to make, so I made a pattern from it and tried it out in muslin.
Then I did some research! I found a great blog post: A guide to working on the bias. I followed their directions, mostly.
First, I put thin strips of interfacing along the edges, instead of stay stitching.
I did French seams on the sides, made bias tape for the top edge, and left the bottom raw, except for a stretch stitch a half an inch from the bottom so that the fraying won’t get out of hand. And I made thin straps that I had to turn inside out: the worst part of the whole process!
I added a bit to trim to top of the front.
I’m happy with the side seams–no puckering!
The back is structured so that the straps won’t fall off my shoulders.
And of course, I made shorts, but not on the bias. I put elastic in the waistband; the drawstring is just sewn on for decoration.
These will be perfect when I go down to the desert later this July!