Denim dress

With the left-over fabric from my denim blouse, I made a dress.

IMG_3721

I used the same pattern as this dress. Because the denim is so thin, I added a muslin lining. I couldn’t find the right color blue muslin, so I bought white, cut out the pattern (7 pieces!), zigzagged all the edges, and then dyed it.

IMG_3692

After zigzagging all 14 pieces for the dress, I ordered a pair of pinking shears.

Sewing the dress was super easy, even putting in the invisible zipper. I just love invisible zippers!

IMG_3826

The hard part of this dress was the binding. I bought silk bias tape, which is beautiful, but not easy to sew on curves. First I tried sewing the silk tape around an armhole by machine. That did not look nice: very rumpled. It took several tries of sewing the tape on by hand before I got a result that looks okay.

IMG_3825

IMG_3824

The lining color didn’t come out the color I intended, but it’s good enough. After this lining, I got serious and bought Dharma dye. So I’ve learned a lot, even though I made this dress the second time!

The binding on the bottom was easy, because it was straight.

IMG_3827

Of course, I didn’t forget the cell phone pocket.

IMG_3828

The dress could have been a bit longer, but I didn’t have any more fabric left.

IMG_3745

Advertisements

About Inge

I'm a technical writer who loves to sew, make jewelry, and do other types of crafts.
This entry was posted in sewing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s